July 29, 2009

THE TOP 10

Yesterday and today were pretty uneventful days at work, which led to a lot of article reading on the Blackberry. One of those articles was about a movie; one of my favorite movies, actually. Lists have also been popping up in my life lately, and as such, I decided to make one - my ten favorite movies. I'm not too great at writing 'reviews' as you can tell by my feeble attempt at Discovery's new album (music reviews are Rather's deal from now on, seeing as he's good at it), so I will add favorite quotes or characters or scenes or something from each. I like movies with good casts, good roles, good quotes, good writing, good music, and the most important factor - rewatchability (yes, another made-up word). I imagine this will get long, so consider yourself warned. In alphabetical order, because numerical is rather difficult... I will say that 1a and 1b are Almost Famous and Jerry Maguire. What do they have in common? Both written and directed by Cameron Crowe. Interesting.


ALMOST FAMOUS

First of all, it stars Kate Hudson, the love of my life (even though she's currently with King of the D-bags). And Kate Hudson isn't just in the movie, either. It's her best role ever. Hands down. Another fun fact about Almost Famous - it's the only movie I've ever seen in which the 'Director's Cut' version on DVD, in this case an extra 35 minutes, made the movie even better. The movie has so many money quotes and scenes it's unreal; and I really believe that any person in the world could watch it every day for the rest of their lives and not get sick of it.



"Some people have a hard time explaining rock 'n' roll. I don't think anyone can really explain rock 'n' roll. Maybe Pete Townshend, but that's okay. Rock 'n' roll is a lifestyle and a way of thinking... and it's not about money and popularity. Although, some money would be nice. But it's a voice that says, 'Here I am... and fuck you if you can't understand me.' And one of these people is gonna save the world. And that means that rock 'n' roll can save the world... all of us together. And the chicks are great. But what it all comes down to is that thing. The indefinable thing when people catch something in your music."


BOONDOCK SAINTS

The movie is just bad ass. Period. And it reminds me of me and Jeffe a lot. Still waiting on the sequel... Come on already! It's been ten years!



"And shepherds we shall be,
For Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.
"


FIGHT CLUB

Edward Norton kills it. So does Brad Pitt. The cinematography is amazing.



"Let the chips fall where they may."


GOOD WILL HUNTING

The only movie I've actually paid for on itunes. It's that good. Robin Williams and Matt Damon at their bests. And my favorite movie scene of all time (the one below).



"No. No, no no no. Fuck you, you don't owe it to yourself man, you owe it to me. Cuz tomorrow I'm gonna wake up and I'll be 50, and I'll still be doin' this shit. And that's all right. That's fine. I mean, you're sittin' on a winnin' lottery ticket. And you're too much of a pussy to cash it in, and that's bullshit. 'Cause I'd do fuckin' anything to have what you got. So would any of these fuckin' guys. It'd be an insult to us if you're still here in 20 years. Hangin' around here is a fuckin' waste of your time. "


JERRY MAGUIRE

Plot involving one of my dream jobs, the Cardinals, ASU, a solid love story that has the movie bordering on chick-flick. Cuba is so good he won his first Oscar. Too good.



"I am a valuable commodity! I go across the middle! I see a dude coming at me, trying to kill me, I tell myself 'Get killed. Catch the ball!' BOO YA! Touchdown! I make miracles happen!
- Rod...
I'm from Arizona Jerry! I broke Arizona records! I went to Arizona State! I'm a Sun Devil, man!
- And now you want Arizona dollars?
Exaaaacctly! "


LUCKY NUMBER SLEVIN

I like movies that make you think. This is one of the better scripts I've ever run across and the movie also has a solid cast with Morgan Freeman, Bruce Willis, Josh Hartnett, and Lucy Liu. If you switched any one of those actors out for someone else, the movie would fall apart. There isn't a single one of them that I can come up with a replacement for. Says a lot about the script, director, etc.



"Hey, don't stop on my account."


OUT COLD

So funny. So quotable. So good. And a kick ass soundtrack. Zach Galifinakis and David Koechner are priceless. This is the beginning of Galifinakis' Hangover role.



"Well, yeah it doesn't really allow my dice to roll and by dice I mean testicles. Speaking of testicles, let me get a beer. "


SNATCH

One of Brad Pitt's better performances, I think. And Jason Statham is always solid. Highly entertaining.



"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."


TOP GUN

It kind of bothers me that I have two Tom Cruise roles in my top 10. Dude is an assclown. But it is what it is, I guess. Another ridiculously good soundtrack (how it is not on any Top 100 Soundtracks lists boggles my mind). You've Lost That Loving Feeling and Great Balls of Fire (even if they're not officially on the soundtrack)? Take My Breath Away? Danger Zone? Hot Summer Nights? THE ANTHEM? Are you kidding?! This movie made me want to fly jets. Then they told me I was too tall. Nonsense. Watch it on BluRay; it will blow your mind.



"You're everyone's problem. That's because every time you go up in the air, you're unsafe. I don't like you because you're dangerous.
- That's right! Ice... man. I am dangerous."


USUAL SUSPECTS

Another movie along the lines of Slevin that makes you think. Really well written. Won a couple Oscars. Some call it the American thriller of the nineties. Whatever that means. Kevin Spacey and Stephen Baldwin are my favorite two roles.



"What the cops never figured out, and what I know now, was that these men would never break, never lie down, never bend over for anybody. Anybody."

No comments:

Post a Comment