August 31, 2009

BACK TO WHERE WE LASTED

Seven years ago. Yes.


Yesterday was another painfully long day in the sun at the Biltmore, complete with more d-bags than normal. Exhibit A: Give rando, Rollie Fingers look-alike, a ride up to the hotel, store his clubs for him, etc, etc. He hands me a five dollar bill and asks if I can give him change. The following ensues:

Me: Sure, no problem. How much do you need?
Rollie Fingers dick bag: Five ones please.
Me: Ooook..? Here you go...
Rollie Fingers dick bag: Thanks. Have a good one. Walks away.
Hotel bell-hop standing there: Did that just happen? What a POS.


Rollie Fingers was the man.
Rollie Fingers look-alike - not so much.


Needless to say, I was pissed. Had a parting word for Rollie Fingers and drove back down to the country club. But right after I did, I got a text from Caleb asking if I wanted to play lalo later that night after work. Now, the majority of the world doesn't have a clue what lalo is, mainly because it's a game we made up when we were freshmen in high school, but it is the most fun thing you could ever do. Basically, it's a cross between hockey, team handball, and ultimate frisbee, and it is amazingly fun. I hadn't played in years, and just thinking about getting to play again got me through the rest of the work day. So, I was off to Southwestern for lalo right after work. Dinner could wait.

I got there a little after everyone had started playing, so I laced up and jumped in the next game. Now, beyond just a fun game, lalo was something that bonded us growing up. That might sound ridiculous, but it's completely true. It's what we did constantly. Back yards, city parks, tennis courts, gyms, the youth center at church. It didn't matter where, so long as we were together and playing. It was our fellowship. Tonight brought all that back, and then some. The group there last night consisted of some of the guys from our 'group,' but also had former and current youth leaders from our church, a guy I consider one of mentors, Pinky, who I hadn't seen pretty much at all (until this week) since I moved home, some current high schoolers from the youth group, and even a couple of their dads. It was really kind of neat to see this game that we loved for both fun and fellowship amongst our friends, had translated to fun and fellowship for a whole slew of people, from teen to 40-something.

It really took me back. I love my church, and missing the fellowship that comes with it is one of the reasons I really wanted to move home. But working at Biltmore, I don't get to go much because Sunday mornings are big on golf. Last night was pretty neat for me. Beyond the fun, and the crazy good workout (currently, it hurts to move my legs), it was amazing to get back to that fellowship and fun and catching up with everyone's lives. Hanging out with our mentors, and slowly becoming mentors for the younger guys ourselves. It's a great dynamic, and I love it.

And to borrow a phrase -
I'm really glad I'm here.

No comments:

Post a Comment